We’re getting so many eggs now that I wanted to be able to tell which ones are the freshest. What did we ever do before the days of google? According to southernfood.about.com , This is how to tell:
- Fill a deep bowl or pan with enough cold tap water to cover an egg.
- Place the egg in the water.
- If the egg lies on its side on the bottom, the air cell within is small and it’s very fresh.
- If the egg stands up and bobs on the bottom, the air cell is larger and it isn’t quite as fresh.
- If the egg floats on the surface, it it should be discarded.
- A very fresh egg out of the shell will have an overall thick white which doesn’t spread much and the yolk will stand up.